The Primary Section comprises of classes 2 – 4.
There are a maximum of 18 children in each class. Class rooms are octagonal with adequate space for seating in circular formation and for various activities.
The primary class size is the smallest in Prakriya - 18 in a class - because children of this age group 7 to10 need maximum attention from the teacher. The learning programmes here are most demanding - on the teacher - if they are to go beyond text book based, chalk and talk methods.
Integrative, thematic classes which allow for immersion and discovery are the special features of the Primary classes at Prakriya.
Approaches to Learning
- Thematic learning classes - wherein the themes are the five elements Prithvi, Jal, Agni, Vayu, Aakash - through which science and social studies concepts are learnt along with several interconnections between them.
- Class work, homework, worksheet & tests -- to build academic and intellectual rigour
- Math Lab – To give hands-on experience and to concretize abstract concepts through various math manipulative and some Montessori equipment.
- MAG classes - children between the ages of 7 and 9 come together to learn from each other and to work with their strengths.
- Science Experiments - to foster a sense of wonder and inquiry and also to explore the world of science.
- Activities - sports, games, yoga, dance, music, Sanskrit shlokas, theatre, role play, art, crafts, and storytelling.
- Field trips, gardening and nature observation - to build awareness of the surroundings and eco-consciousness.
- Life skills - perspective building through circle time, celebrations and other non-purposive engagements.
- Projects - hands on as well as academic projects that go beyond the curriculum. Children get the opportunity to work in a team as well as individually, bringing out their strengths.
In the primary school, Prakriya follows a continuous assessment system by using worksheets and teachers’ observation of the child.
The focus of assessment in the primary school, therefore, is on concept understanding and not on ‘perfect reproduction’.
The Primary block has a spacious activity hall, a welcoming sand pit, a well ventilated, well-lit lunch hut, a math lab, a well equipped library, a vast play ground, a language room and a small stage for presentations and performances.
Children also have the benefit of living and learning from the biodiversity within the campus - from over 108 species of trees, several shrubs, from 70 to 90 species of birds and butterflies, a medicinal garden and an organic garden where children do hands on work. And Nature walks to the Lake behind the campus is a treat that they enjoy...
The medium of instruction is English. Languages offered are Hindi and Kannada. Both the languages (Hindi & Kannada) are introduced right from class 1 keeping in mind that the ‘Windows of Opportunity’ for natural language learning lasts up to about 9 years.
Children learn languages experientially as well as through lessons - through ‘whole language’ and ‘mother tongue’ approaches.
Learning Programme and Focus
For the primary section the focus is to support the child’s need to explore the world around, to learn joyously and to build concepts and skills. They include :
Experiential Learning wherever possible, to make connections and deep understanding.
Fostering a love of learning through focus on the 4 ‘C’s - Curiosity, Conversation, Creativity and Concept understanding.
Skill building for – Reading, Writing and Arithmetic; content learning in – Mathematics, Languages, Science
Connecting with self and culture - through music, Sanskrit shlokas, Yoga, crafts and festivals.